Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Other Tim


It's the time of year when I can't get my Dad off my mind. At almost 5 years out I'm so thankful that I can just focus on him. It's not too often that I try to understand, fathom, explain, wonder, imagine etc....the way he died. I don't think of myself now as a survivor of suicide. I'm just someone who misses her Dad (a ton). That's so much easier. In thinking about orphans so much lately I realize I have so much to be thankful for. 1. I had a father. I actually had so much more than that. I had a father who cared about and loved me. Who made me pick weeds in high school to teach me a lesson. Now I LOVE to pick weeds, ask anyone who's been to my house! What is wrong with me? My Dad celebrated with me on my graduation days. He came to all my soccer games, paid for my college, fed and clothed me. When I was single and living alone he always reminded me that he wouldn't mind if I moved back in. Looking back now I know he would have loved that. He took me to Disney World, Colorado and Washington D.C. We even stood at the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris on our last vacation together. How many daughters can say that? It's such a relief to be on this side of grief now. With a thankful heart....Amy

1 comment:

Amanda said...

tears.
happy tears too...that you have come so far to this point. That you can just remember and celebrate your Dad.