Tomorrow will be the 5th anniversary of my Dad's passing and yesterday was the 5th anniversary of my Papa's. I still can't believe that both of them died within 3 days of each other. How I miss them! I thought retyping what Julie wrote about my Dad might be cathartic. If you are suffering with depression or suicidal thoughts please seek help. As a survivor of suicide I am open to talking with anyone who struggles or helping them seek help.
Tim Cook
On Sunday morning, June 25th Charles Timothy Cook passed away. By the gracious provision of Jesus his frail body was exchanged for a glorious one, his restless mind exchanged for eternal peace and moments of intimacy with God exchanged for everlasting fellowship. Tim was an adored son , brother, cousin, uncle and friend, a cherished father and a beloved husband.
On July 23rd 1948 in Kansas City, MO Jack and Ruth Cook were delighted with Tim's birth. He was the 3rd of seven children and was best characterized by his good nature. Growing up Tim was a typical middle child, though more easy going that most. He loved all of his brothers and sisters, despite the fact it's been said he had to "survive" the older ones!
Tim's first job was running a neighborhood paper route, which he proudly did for a number of years. His earnings led to an elated purchase of a Cushman Eagle Motor Scooter. Tim also spent time in any sporting activity available. He loved sports, whether that was school participation in football and baseball, or simply shooting hoops in his backyard. Tim attended St. Monica's grade school for 9 years and was a member of one of the first classes to graduate from the new Jesuit High School.
Another love in Tim's life was cars, his first being a 1964 Rambler, which he nicknamed the "White Knight". The White Knight was followed by a 1968 Dodge Charger, his all-time favorite. Later in life he developed an unwavering devotion to mini vans. Who would have thought?
Being well taught by his father, on of Tim's strengths was car repair. He was also gifted with fixing and crafting things. From rigging his mailbox to building furniture, from green gooping the kitchen table chairs, to laying a quality patio in his backyard, he was a handy man for sure. Sometimes he would have to "give in" and call on a professional, as was the case with filling in the pool, but if all possible he would try for self-taught success.
Tim also loved, motorcycles, English muffins with peanut butter, airplanes, chocolate pie, doing "Nordy" while listening to Top Gun, cowboys, tools, Jim Knighton, Cici's Pizza, Wendy's, Wal-Mart, water skiing, snow skiing, National Geographic, reading, western art, smoking his pipe, the Beatles, John Denver, Lionel Richie, East Texas, Amy's compassion, Katy's faith, Cheryl's legs, being with family, playing poker with his brothers, taking pictures, posting notes around the house, eccentric practical jokes, parakeets, dogs (namely Teddy, Daisy, Rocky, Mandy, Maggie, and Dixie). The Fightin' Texas Aggie Band, Flowbee, Johnny Mathis, relaxing in front of a lighted Christmas tree, his i-Pod and Cheryl at first sight.
Cheryl's love for walking and Tim's love for listening to music on his i-Pod came together to create one of their favorite pastimes. Cheryl would throw on her walking shoes. Tim would charge up his i-Pod and off they would go. Time purchased an adapter in order for 2 sets of earphones to run off of one i-Pod. Because the adaptor cord lacked in length Cheryl would regularly get jerked around, but that did not take away from the special moments these walks brought about.
Tim graduated from North Texas in 1971 with a degree in business administration and accounting. He worked as a CPA for 34 years.
The dominant theme of Tim's life was his desire to provide for his family. He relished the thought of leaving a legacy of financial security. Though his desire for this legacy never wavered, it also came to include leaving a legacy of grace-filled living and even greater commitment to family.
In recent months Tim was struggling with depression, confusion and feelings of worthlessness. In addition to other avenues of recovery, Tim attended the Barnabas 33. Barnabas provided a safe place for Tim to deal with his sin and struggles, to build relationships with others, the most important of which was his restored relationship with God through Jesus. A family highlight at Barnabas was when Tim had to share with Cheryl the gifts he saw in her. With Amy and Katy on Cheryl's right he replied, "The two best gifts that you ever gave me are standing next to you."
Tim was proceeded in death by his youngest sister Mary. Tim is survived by his loving wife Cheryl, of 35 years, his eldest daughter Amy and fiance Bob Meeker, his youngest daughter, Katy Budge and husband Nick; brothers Pat, Mike and wife Jeanie, Danny and wife Sally, Davide and wife Gail, sister Susie Murphy and husband Brian. He is also survived by 11 nieces and nephews, Shannon, Meghan his Goddaughter, Colleen, Maureen, John Paul, Matthew, Michael, Peter, Thomas, Sarah and Joseph.
Depression is the number 4 killer in the world behind heart disease, strokes, and cancer. If you suffer from depression and are not getting help, address the problem. Most of the time it it treatable.





4 comments:
Amy - I remember this heartbreaking time so well. You might remember that my mom had died just a few weeks earlier, and while still grieving her loss I served on the Barnabas 33 team and so loved what I got to know of your Dad! At the time he seemed to be fighting so hard for his life! I adored YOU so much and your precious friendship and encouragement had been such an abundant blessing for me-it was easy to love your Dad, as he was like family! My heart still breaks for you and I still think of him when his stretch song comes up on my iTunes! I know that this was one of the most painful stretches of your journey, yet I so admire the beautiful, strong, courageous, compassionate woman you are!!!
Amy, thanks for posting this. I didn't know your dad, but feel as though I do now.
Amy I loved reading that again.....I laughed and cried. I am of course thinking of you and your whole family today.
I just came across your blog and this post. Loved reading it again. I didn't know Julie had written it - beautiful tribute.
-Kelly Ellis Burgoyne
Post a Comment