Monday, June 30, 2008

June 25, 2008 Dad

June 25, 2008 was the 2 year anniversary of my Dad's suicide. It's difficult to write all the feelings or affects that day has had on all of us. Bob, Mom and I started the day off getting massages at the Essence of Eve spa on the McKinney Square. It's one of our favorite places. Then we ate lunch next door at the Spoons Cafe. YUMMY! They make the biggest and best cupcakes ever. Katy and Nick were in Europe (PUNKS!).

That night we planted a tree in my Dad's honor at our house. He always loved taking small trees from East Texas and seeing how fast they would grow in his yard at home. People laughed about it and several years later he would have a pretty nice sized tree in his yard. He also LOVED sitting with us in the dark in front of a lighted Christmas tree. That is why we picked the blue spruce. I tend to want to do things like this without even realizing it's like him.

Julie wrote this about my Dad. It brings me to tears each time I read it but I love it. On Sunday morning, June 25th Charles Timothy Cook passed away. By the gracious provision of Jesus his frail body was exchanged for a glorious one, his restless mind exchanged for eternal peace and moments of intimacy with God exchanged for everlasting fellowship.

Dad,
I'll always miss you; your silly jokes, your dry humor, sitting with you in front of the lighted Christmas tree, the way you played with the dogs, going to Cici's Pizza with you :), and mostly the way you had started to look after me the last few years. You will never be replaced.
Amy

Psalm 40
I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire, he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.


Digging


Mom and Molly having fun!



The blue spruce. We named him Charles Porky. Charles after my Dad and Porky because it's very poky like a porcupine.

3 comments:

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

Sorry I removed my first post.....But you did not have words up at that point.

This brought tears to my eyes. What Sweet words that you and Julie have both written here. I remember that day also.....I can only imagine how you have made it through the past 2 years. You are a strong,strong woman and you have a great family to support you. I love the tree you picked out and the wonderful memories that go with it. Someday it will be a big, huge tree and you can show it to Molly and tell her all about her Grandpa.

powellsa74 said...

What a great way to honor your father's memory! And I love how you always name things...that is such an Amy thing to do!